BECOME A MEMBER
Would you like to become a member of Maui's oldest arts society?
Temporary Pandemic Exhibiting Artist Application & Process
Please Note these temporary pandemic adjustments: The application and process described below is temporarily adjusted due to current COVID restrictions. In person Jury Sessions are on hold. All requirements below remain in effect, and all prospective members will need to eventually present their art to the Jury when the Jury is reconstituted. At present, we are accepting applications and photographs of artwork via email.
To apply, fill out the one-page Membership Application and submit at least 5 photographs of your art via email to email@example.com. Your application and submission will be reviewed by Jury members, and we will respond to you expeditiously.
Accepted artists may be granted “provisional” participation, which will enable them to show at LAS art fairs and in our Banyan Tree Gallery. This immediate participation is possible due to the pandemic, and it is temporary pending formal jurying when the Jury Committee has reassembled. But it is an excellent way to get a start at LAS, meet the members and make sure your work is acceptable for the Jury.
You will still need to submit your General Excise Tax License, HI state ID and W-9, and by your provisional participation you agree to the following terms: "LAS is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage of artist's work and LAS does not carry insurance for artist's work. The artist is responsible for transport, display and removal of his/her works at all times, including throughout and after the jury process, and LAS shall have no liability therefore. The artist is responsible for his/her own insurance against loss or damage of artist’s work, including during the application and jury process, and LAS is not responsible for damage to artists' work stored on its premises. By participating in LAS activities you acknowledge and agree to this."
Post-pandemic Exhibiting Artist Application & Process
Prospective exhibiting artist members may pick up an application at the LAS Banyan Tree Gallery or print and complete the Membership Application shown below. Please return completed forms at least ten days prior to the Jury date to Lahaina Arts Society, 648 Wharf Street #103, Lahaina, HI 96761.
1. Prospective members must complete the application form and, upon acceptance, be able to provide their current Hawaii G.E. Tax license number, a photo ID and social security number. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have been a resident of Maui County for at least six months prior to application.
2. Every three months applicants have an opportunity to have their work juried in for acceptance to LAS. The Jury Committee holds brief interviews with applicants on Jury Day to become acquainted with the artist, their creative process, and their artwork. After turning in their application, prospective members will be contacted to schedule this interview. Please make sure your application includes a current phone number, e-mail address (if applicable), and mailing address.
3. On Jury Day the applicants come to the LAS Banyan Tree Gallery and sign in. Applicants must provide five original works and five additional works or photos of work, all to have been completed within the last two years. Artists may be juried for no more than two mediums per jury session. Example: an applicant wishing to exhibit acrylics and jewelry must bring along five original works and five additional works or photos of work for each medium (for a total of 10 examples for each medium). The jury will not accept work based on fewer examples of art per medium.
4. LIABILITY RELEASE: LAS is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage of artist's work and LAS does not carry insurance for these events. The artist is responsible for transport, display and removal of his/her works throughout and beyond the jury process, and LAS shall have no liability therefore. The artist is responsible for his/her own insurance against loss or damage of artist’s work, including during the application and jury process.
5. The Jury Committee makes the decision on Jury Day after all interviews are completed. The applicant will be told of the Jury’s decision the next day. A mandatory orientation date will be scheduled for all new members, usually one week after Jury Day. This orientation must be completed prior to exhibiting in the galleries.
6. Orientation provides an overview of the mission, by-laws, rules and regulations of Lahaina Arts Society. Artists will review the ‘new member packet’, sign membership agreement, pay membership dues of $100 for an individual or $200 for a family per year.
7. New members are required to pay their annual membership dues and complete a one hour gallery review with LAS gallery staff, and a one hour onsite art fair review with LAS art fair staff before exhibiting in the gallery or participating in Banyan Tree Art Fairs. This helps the new member become more familiar with our organization and current artists.